FUEL SYSTEMS NEWS: Vol 26
Wall Street Heliport
An Aviation Fueling System in the Heart of New York City
The Wall Street Heliport, located in lower Manhattan, is used for both tourist excursion flights and business air traffic. On a typical summer day this heliport experiences more takeoffs and landings than JFK International Airport over the same period of time. Because of increased demand the Heliport required an upgraded aviation fueling system. This was a particularly complex and difficult job due to New York’s stringent environmental and safety regulations (this heliport is located on the East River, very close to “Ground Zero”). In addition, heavy air traffic combined with the changing tides and waves coming from boats along the river made for challenging installation conditions.
Core Engineered Solutions was selected to conduct the upgrade of this highly visible Heliport based on our unique experience and partnerships in the combined areas of high security fuel storage, aviation fueling and double-wall flexible piping systems. Core supplied and installed a Jet Fuel Pumping and Filtration System (PFT) designed to unload and filter fuel (at up to 200 USGPM). The fuel is then stored in a 4000 Gallon NYC approved ConVault Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) which included stainless steel fittings, transition box, control panel and fire suppression system. ConVault AST’s are encased in concrete and carry a UL standard 2085 protected tank listing.
The system required nearly 600 feet of pipe to connect to the dispensing systems located on the floating dock. Core used 2” Brugg FLEXWELL-HL piping to connect the remote dispensers. Flexwell-HL is a flexible pipe system made of corrugated stainless steel primary and secondary pipes with a reinforcement tape in the interstitial space. The outer layer is protected by a polyethylene jacket. The inherent flexibility of the corrugated pipe compensates for changing tidal conditions without any fittings (even when transferring from belowground to aboveground). The fuel is then delivered to helicopters via 2 separate remote dispensing systems (RDS) which can refuel at 25-50 USGPM. For more information on ConVault, Flexwell Pipe or RDS/PFT Refueling Modules contact Core today.
If We Can Do It Here… We Can Do It Anywhere
Flexible Double-wall Stainless Steel Pipe System with Permanent Leak Detection Capability
STRENGTH l FLEXIBILITY l VALUE
FLEXWELL-HL is a flexible pipe system made of corrugated stainless steel primary and secondary pipes with a reinforcement tape in the interstitial space. The outer layer is protected by a polyethylene jacket. No pipe system does it better when it comes to belowgrade and aboveground tank fueling and marina fuel piping. The inherent flexibility of the corrugated double-wall stainless steel pipe compensates for terrain or tidal changes without any fittings. This pipe can run from tank to dispenser without transitions or connections even when transferring from belowground to aboveground.
Specifically designed for hazardous fluids and gases including:
- Ethanol Blends
• Made of corrugated stainless steel (316L) w/ a seamless design to assure no leak points
• Polyethylene jacket for corrosion protection
• Operating pressure up to 145 PSIG
• The corrugated design of the pipes assure excellent impact resistance while at the same time providing a high degree of flexibility.
• Pipe Sizes from 1/2” – 3” to fit every fueling application
• Fast and simple installation reduces labor cost. Can be laid directly into a trench in one piece without intermediate joints or fittings.
• Manufactured in factory lengths up to 3,000 ft.
• No special tools are needed for installation.
• No need for a transition box when going from underground to aboveground.
Compliance & Reliability:
• UL Listed, Florida EQ No. 692, California SWRCB Approved
• Leak Monitoring: Connections, fittings, & T-pieces designed for continuous leak monitoring
• Leak detection: Interstitial space designed for leak detection via either pressure or vacuum
FUNDAMENTALS OF FUEL STORAGE
A C.E.U. Accredited Lunch & Learn at YOUR OFFICE!
For a limited time Core is offering one hour training sessions covering relevant codes, applications and standards within the fuel storage industry. Sessions touch on various applications including vehicle dispensing, emergency power, aviation fueling, alternative fuels and more. Training sessions have been certified by The Practicing Institute of Engineering (PIE) for one Professional Development Hour (PDH) as well as C.E.U. credits. Anyone involved in specifying, designing, purchasing or operating a fuel storage system should attend.
- Comparison of AST’s, UST’s and Vaulted Tanks
- Fuel Storage Systems Maintenance
- Codes and Standards Overview
- Designing an Emergency Power Fueling System
- Alternative Fueling Options and Standards
- Piping Options
- Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasures (SPCC) Updates
TRAINING TAKES PLACE AT YOUR OFFICE AT YOUR CONVENIENCE
Training sessions are customized to fit your individual interests and industry. Best of all we come to your office at your convenience. For large groups we can schedule an off-site training session. To schedule your training sessions or for additional information please fill out our information form using the link below.